- Employment: Past employee sued a construction client for violations relating to the FLSA. Ms. Black brought a third party complaint against the employee leasing company that the client used and successfully negotiated a settlement with the employee that required the third party leasing company to pay half of the settlement. (December 2020)
- Non-Jury Trial: A wholesale perfume client sued a vendor for failure to pay over $150,000 worth of invoices in a breach of contract and Florida Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practice lawsuit. After a bench trial, Black Law P.A. secured a verdict against the vendor and its owner for the entire amount of requested damages, along with attorney fees. (October 2020)
- Insurance Coverage/Employment. Past employee sued a restaurant client of for violations of the FLSA and retaliation. Ms. Black filed a declaratory judgment action against the insurance carrier for the client because the carrier wrongfully denied coverage. After the lawsuit was filed, the insurance carrier agreed to resolve the lawsuits. (November 2019)
- Insurance Coverage. Client was sued in Broward County in a wrongful death action. Client’s insurance filed a declaratory judgment action in federal court. BLPA filed a motion to dismiss, and the insurance company voluntarily dismissed the federal court action. (October 2019)
- Insurance Coverage. Client’s CEO was about to be sued in a wrongful death action involving an auto accident. BLPA’s quick response on behalf of the company and CEO triggered their insurance carrier to expeditiously resolve the matter with a fair and just settlement, without the necessity of a lawsuit and unnecessary exposure to an excess judgment.
- Evidentiary Hearing. Ms. Black successfully advocated on behalf of her client that an adverse inference instruction should be read to the jury due to Extra Space Storage’s spoliation of evidence for an upcoming trial. The court agreed. (October 2019)
- Non-compete enforcement. Client’s employee breached her noncompete agreement, and BLPA sued for injunctive relief and monetary damages. The employee requested an early mediation and agreed to stronger noncompete terms in favor of the company and paid monetary damages to BLPA’s client in exchange for dismissal of the lawsuit
- Trial. Ms. Black client was sued for breach of contract, fraud and violation of Florida’s Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act. After a one-day bench trial, Ms. Black secured a defense verdict on all claims, but the breach of contract action. (June 2019)
- Insurance Coverage: Ms. Black persuaded an insurance company to cover 100% of all losses to a commercial property client, despite the company’s initial detail of the claim without having to file a lawsuit
- Insurance Coverage: A Caribbean dive company client was sued in the United States District Court for Southern District of Florida by a customer for personal injuries. The dive company’s insurance carrier attempted to exclude coverage. BLPA was successful in forcing the insurance to live up to its commitments under the policy and provide coverage. (May 2019)
- Trial. Ms. Black first chaired a 5-day federal court jury trial on behalf of a surety company. The jury found minimal damages against the bond principal and defense verdict in the surety’s favor. (January 2019)
- Trial. Ms. Black participated in a one-week bench trial involve a shareholder dispute in a closely held company. Ms. Black was successful in assisting to achieve a complete win on behalf of the firm’s clients. (November 2018)
- Trial. Ms. Black participated in a jury trial involving a shareholder dispute in a closely held company and was able to achieve a favorable result for the majority shareholders against the minority shareholder. (July 2018)
- Arbitration. Ms. Black assisted a client in an arbitration to recover the full value of his speculative investment made in a cannabis company. (June 2018).